Photograph of a view of Westlake Park (later MacArthur Park), ca.1892. A man stands at the top of the stairs on a bridge constructed of tree branches. People are lounging on the grass or strolling through the park. Several people sit in a rowboat at the center of the lake. On the other side of the lake stands a gazebo. Trees cover the hilly landscape in the distance. Several houses are situated at the top of the hills in the distance.; "When Wilshire bought the property in 1895 for $52,000, Westlake Park had been a city dump. In 1887 private funds enabled the land to be converted into a park (and renamed for World War II General Douglas MacArthur Jr. in 1942). Gaylord Wilshire told the city that in order for him to permit a street to bisect the property, the boulevard must be 120 feet wide and must bear his name. His street ran between Westlake Park and Lafayette Park." -- unknown author.