Photograph of an exterior view of the Machado House in the Old Town Plaza of San Diego, ca.1920. The narrow side of a barn-style building displays two signs which read "Casa Mexicana", which appears to be electrified, and "Now Open.". A portion of post-and-rail fence is visible next to one of the two windows to the left. Several doors are visible along with what appears to be the support for a covered patio in the right distance. A long sign stands next to the leftmost doorway, although it is illegible. The roof of a second, much taller building can be seen in the right background behind trees and a second post-and-rail fence. The road in front is unpaved. Picture file card reads: "Old army headquarters and house of the Mexican girl patrol.".; "Corporal Jose Manuel Machado, pioneer leatherjacket soldier of the Spanish Army, arrived at San Diego Presidio about 1782. He built this house, on the southwest side of the Old Town Plaza, facing San Diego Avenue, probably in 1832, for his daughter, Maria Antonia and her husband, Manuel de Silvas. It became Known as the Casa de la Bandera, or 'House of the Flag,' when the lady hid in it the Mexican flag cut away from the Plaza pole, when the Americans occupied San Diego. Albert Smith, who shinnied up the pole with the Stars and Stripes, married Maria Antonia's sister Guadalupe soon after. The old house is now in use as a Community Church for the Old Town area." -- unknown author.