Photograph of people outside of the Machado House, Casa de la Bandera, in San Diego, ca.1900. The two-story home, the first frame house in San Diego, is pictured turned slightly to the right, portions of its upper porch in collapse and boards missing from its facade. To the right a man in a suit sits on a pile of wooden scrap, while others stand in front of the lower porch near center. A second, more lightly-colored building is pictured beside the building, at right. It is possibly adobe. The image appears out of focus.; "Corporal Jose Manuel Machado, pioneer leatherjacket soldier of the Spanish Army, arrived at San Diego Presidio about 1782. He built this house, on the southwest side of the Old Town Plaza, facing San Diego Avenue, probably in 1832, for his daughter, Maria Antonia and her husband, Manuel de Silvas. It became Known as the Casa de la Bandera, or 'House of the Flag,' when the lady hid in it the Mexican flag cut away from the Plaza pole, when the Americans occupied San Diego. Albert Smith, who shinnied up the pole with the Stars and Stripes, married Maria Antonia's sister Guadalupe soon after. The old house is now in use as a Community Church for the Old Town area." -- unknown author.