Photograph of an exterior view of San Francisco's first ferry building, September 1875. The building is a long rectangular structure with a tall clock tower sticking out of the middle. There are nine large openings in the front of the building for carriage and trolley entrance, and several horse-drawn trolleys are visible.; The caption at the bottom of the image reads: "This was San Francisco's first 'ferry building'. It was located on East Street (Embarcadero) between Market and Clay Streets and was built by the Central Pacific Railroad Company in connection with lips built by the California State Harbor Commissioners. Ferry boats from Oakland Long Wharf made first use of this 'commodious and convenient passenger station' on September 4, 1875, and at the same time the landing on Davis Street, between Broadway and Pacific Street wharves, was abandoned by the ferry boats. During 1877 this building was moved and rearranged to conform to three new slips built by the Harbor Commissioners, which station continued as San Francisco's terminal until the present Ferry Building was erected in 1896".