Photograph of the ruins of the adobe hidehouse located on the bluff of Old San Pedro (later the site of Fort MacArthur), Port of Los Angeles, ca.1897. Wild grass surrounds the remaining walls of the hidehouse.; Picture file card reads: "San Pedro's first shipping warehouse, located in what later became the parade grounds of U.S. barracks. The structure was built by San Gabriel Mission fathers. Used as a warehouse when Richard H. Dana landed there, and as a store by Alexander and John Temple, owned by Abel Stearns, Alexander Bell and John Temple. Issac Williams of Chino used it as a shipping place. The building was used by Chapman to put together woots he had constructed at Mission San Gabriel. -- See Guinn, Vol. 1, pages 402-403."; "The hidehouse was built in 1823 by the British firm of McCulloch and Hartnell, in 1829 transferred to San Gabriel Mission, in 1834 puchased by American Abel Stearns and improved and developed to a very successful business. It was used for storage of steer hides and tallow which were processed and shipped from this point to New England, U.S.A The building was gradually neglected and finally deserted from about 1860s while commerce developed at Timms Point and in Wilmington. Old-timers from early 1900s reported some ruins remaining and finds of arrowheads etc. The adobe hidehouse was the first structure of any kind on the Bay of San Pedro. Early Dominguez, Sepulveda and Gutierrez ranch-houses were inland a few miles. Information previously on record that the hidehouse was built by mission fathers late in 18th century is erroneous. Documentation of original deed, records, etc. are at the Huntington Library and copies in the Archives of the San Pedro Bay Historical Society. Plaque was placed on site in Fort MacArthur in l978 by State of California and San Pedro Bay Historical Society, making it a California state historic monument." -- unknown author.