Photograph of Rexford Newcomb's rendition of Mission San Gabriel Arcángel's original campanile, or "bell tower", 1916. The two-story main chapel of the Mission San Gabriel and its connected bell towers are shown in three-quarters profile at center, the heads and shoulders of two monks visible along the bottom edge of the image. At the left side of the chapel, a patio can be seen extending out of the upper level, with a barred railing. To the right, the three-story main structure of the bell tower is visible with three open bell chambers on the top two levels. At center, a arched wooden door stands on the ground level, while a small, barred window can be seen directly over it.; "On December 8, 1812 (the "Feast Day of the Immaculate Conception of the Blessed Virgin") a series of massive earthquakes shook Southern California. The 1812 Wrightwood Earthquake caused the three-bell campanario, located adjacent to the chapel's east façade, to collapse. A larger, six-bell structure was subsequently constructed at the far end of the capilla. While no pictorial record exists to document what the original structure looked like, architectural historian Rexford Newcomb deduced the design and published a depiction in his 1916 work The Franciscan Mission Architecture of Alta California" -- Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mission_San_Gabriel_Arcángel).