Photograph of the exterior of the old San Diego courthouse, taken from the water tower behind the Horton house looking west, ca.1873. The courthouse is on the right of the image and is a large rectangular building adjoining a lot surrounded by a stone wall. First Street is in the foreground, and there is a row of small houses on the far side of it. In front of First Street are several small gardens surrounded by a wooden fence. San Diego Bay visible in the background, along with a long pier and flat island.