Photograph of an exterior view of the Harvey House next to railroad tracks in Mojave, 1896. The tracks lie over the dirt in the foreground while the long building stands behind them at center. Several men stand next to large objects in front of the entrances. The two-story, wooden building has hundreds of windows and four visible chimneys. Before the railroads had dining cars all passengers were fed in these Harvey Houses. They also had a few rooms to rent. Mojave was the end of the line for passengers and freight going north. They transferred here from Santa Fe Railroad to Southern Pacific Railroad. Harvey House system operated only on Santa Fe Railroad.