Photograph of four battleships from the "Great White Fleet" touring an unidentified coastline in single file, 1908. Four battleships are pictured just off the coast, making a line that diminishes off into the left distance. Each battleship features three steam- or smoke-stacks which appear to be flanked by two masts or radio towers which are positioned on the stern and bow of the ships. Mountains are visible in the background.; The "Great White Fleet" was a fleet of sixteen then-new battleships in the United States Atlantic Fleet which were sent touring from December 16th, 1907 to February 22, 1909 by then-president Theodore Roosevelt. Each ship was painted wholly white save for gilded scrollwork along the bows. The nickname "Great White Fleet" developed after the tour.