Photograph of a view of Spring Street looking north from First Street on the opening day of the cable-car line, June 8, 1889. A cable-car and its trailer car, decorated with American-flag banners and full of passengers, makes its way down the street in the right foreground while horse-drawn carriages navigate it further back. A crowd of spectators have gathered in the left foreground to watch the cars, a utility pole jutting up from the center of them. High rise buildings with commercial signs line the street to either side. Legible signs include: "Union Loan Office", "CIG", "Mr. Sign Co. / [...] Sign & House Painters", "Tribune" and "Gardener's Toast[...]ounder".