Photograph of the exterior view of California State Reform School in Whittier, ca.1910. The Victorian-style building stands a about four-stories tall. Four dormers are facing front from the façade. Two other dormers, facing each other, are visible on the right of the building. There is a conic-shaped spire on top of a cylindrical tower at left. The clock tower in the center has on its right corner a mini tower with a similar shape as the one on the left. The yard, decorated with palm trees, is well manicured.; "In 1890, the Legislature enacted a law establishing two State reform schools. Both were part of the Division of Institutions, and both had trade training and academic classes. Commitments were made from Police Courts, Justice Courts, and Courts of Session for a specialized period of time or minority. These schools were: (1) Whittier State Reformatory (now Fred C. Nelles School in Whittier) and (2) the Preston School of Industry in lone (Amador County)." -- unknown author.; "The March 11, 1889 Act of the California Legislature authorized the establishment of a school for juvenile offenders. Dedication and laying of cornerstone was done by Governor R. W. Waterman on February 12, 1890. Officially opened as 'Whittier State School' for boys and girls on July 1, 1891. Girls were transferred in 1916 and only boys have been in residence since that time. Renamed 'Fred C. Nelles School for Boys' in 1941 ('For Boys' was dropped around 1970). This school has been in continuous operation serving the needs of juvenile offenders since 1891. Location: Department of the Youth Authority entrance, 11850 E Whittier Blvd, Whittier." -- unknown author.