Photograph of the exterior view of "The Old Mill" of the Mission San Gabriel, also known as "El Molino Viejo", San Marino, ca.1890. The mill, a single-story mission-style structure, features Spanish-tiled roofs and adobe walls covered with stucco. A set of stairs leads to a rectangular doorway (at right). To the left is a large arched passageway. The leaves from the trees in the foreground dangle above covering some of the sky scene.; "Around 1816, a water-powered gristmill and fortress, now known as 'El Molino Viejo' and considered the first water-powered gristmill in Southern California, was constructed (by Indian labor) at the southern border of Pasadena (now the City of San Marino). The mill is now a historical site situated just Northwest of Lacy Park, which was a natural lake at that time." -- unknown author, ca.2002.