Photograph of Father Regnernes strolling in the sacred garden (or holy garden?) of Mission Santa Barbara, ca.1895. He is wearing a dark hooded robe with a rosary and cross attached to his belt. He is staring downward as he takes step away from the circular fountain(?) (or well?) at the center of the garden. Potted plants are placed on the walls of the circular fountain. A variety of trees fill this garden. The multi-tiered tower and part of the church are visible above the trees.; "Santa Barbara Mission was founded December 4, 1786. Portions of five units of its extensive water works, built by Indian labor, are preserved in this park, a filter house, Spanish gristmill, sections of aqueducts, and two reservoirs. The larger reservoir, built in 1806, is used today as part of the city water system. Ruins of the pottery kiln and tanning vats are here, also. The fountain and lavadero are nearby in front of the Old Mission. A dam, built in 1807, is located in the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden, one and one-half miles up Mission Canyon." -- The California State Historic Landmark Plaque #309.