Photograph of a drawing of Mission Santa Cruz by Henry Chapman Ford, ca.1883. To the right of the church is a Moorish-style tower with several layers and a dome roof. Behind the tower is an adobe(?) wall enclosing the garden (or courtyard) within the compounds of the church. To the left of the church is an arcade. In front of the church stands a cross. Mountains are visible in the distance.; "Henry C. Ford was best known for his paintings of the entire chain of twenty-one California missions. He was born in Livonia, New York in 1828, but he pursued his studies in Paris and Florence during the late 1850's. He was a Civil War illustrator and veteran, and as soon as he was discharged from service, he settled in Chicago, Illinois. In Chicago, Ford became an accomplished landscapist, and was one of the founders of the Chicago Academy of Design in 1873. The studio that Ford kept in Chicago burned down in 1871. Due to his failing health, Ford moved to a milder climate, settling in Santa Barbara, California. In the summers of 1880 and 1881, he traveled by horse and buggy to each mission site south of Santa Barbara. On the mission grounds, Ford made pencil drawings and painted sketches. He was the first artist to make a set of mission images in two media, oil and etching. He went to New York to turn his renditions into etchings, which were inexpensive and could be easily duplicated. In 1893, he exhibited his mission etchings at the Chicago World's Fair. Later in his life, Ford taught and continued to paint from his Santa Barbara home. He died in 1894, leaving behind the important historical contribution of his California mission paintings." -- unknown author.; "Mission Santa Cruz is located on Mission Plaza in Santa Cruz, California. The Roman Catholic Parish of Holy Cross is the home of Mission Santa Cruz, the 12th link in the chain of 21 historic Spanish Franciscan missions that stretch from San Diego to Sonoma. 'Santa Cruz' means 'Holy Cross' in Spanish. The full Spanish name of the mission is 'Misión la exaltación de la Santa Cruz,' named after a feast day in the Church calendar which occurs on September 14: The Exaltation of the Holy Cross, celebrating the Christian symbol of the cross on which Jesus was crucified. Mission Santa Cruz was founded by Father Fermín Francisco de Lasuén (pronounced:Lah-SWEN), the successor of Father Junípero Serra." -- unknown author.