Photograph of the rear patio side of the Francis Avila Adobe built in 1821, [s.d.]. The house, owned by the 1825 mayor of Los Angeles, Francis Avila, is a long, one-story complex featuring multiple consecutive doors and windows. In the foreground, a garden plot demarcated by a circle of bricks can be seen from which a vine of what appears to be ivy is growing. A tall y-forked tree that obscures part of the house can also be seen in at left. The house called "the most pretentious in the city" and that was allegedly "used by Commander Stockton as his headquarters" was located on Avila street, which was later renamed Olvera.