Photograph of three bells in the Los Angeles Plaza Church tower, cast by Paul Revere's apprentice George Holbrook for the Plaza Church, ca.1910. From the rear. Sidewalks, trees, and people can be seen in the plaza, which is visible below through one of the tower openings. The bells bear inscriptions (illegible in this perspective).; "Across the street from the Plaza and to the west is the Old Plaza Church (535 Main St.), first established in 1784 as a chapel. The oldest religious structure in Los Angeles, this 1822 building is also known as the Church of Our Lady the Queen of the Angels. Originally built as a simple adobe by Franciscan Padres with the labor of local Native American Indians, it took an additional 40 years to construct the whole church. This Catholic Church now features some fine modern additions, including a tile mosaic of The Annunciation, created by artist Isabel Piczek in 1981. The interior displays ornate designs of wrought iron and gold leaf. A collection of religious canvases adorn the alter, and murals grace the ceilings. Today, Our Lady Queen of Angels serves as an active church of the Archdiocese of Los Angeles." -- unknown author.