Photograph of the San Miguel Mission in Santa Fe, New Mexico, ca.1895. A large plain cross is perched on the metal(?) roof of the bell tower which is directly over the entrance. There are a pair of slatted openings in the upper part of the tower. Buttresses at each side of the tower support the main building. A low stone wall surrounds the church yard in which several large trees grow. A low adobe building is visible at left. Rolling hills are visible in the background. The church is claimed as being the oldest in the United States because it was built by Tlaxcalan Indians who came to New Mexico with the early Spanish conquistadors. It continues in daily use for religious services. It was built originally in 1541. The roof and upper portions of the walls were destroyed by the Indians in 1680, the year of the general uprising of the Pueblos against Spanish rule. The church was repaired by Diego de Vargas, Governor and Captain-General in 1692; it then became the parish church and remained so up to 1728. Many notable persons of the Spanish era of New Mexican history are buried in the church, among others, the Franciscan Father Juan de Jesus, who was killed by the Indians in the general revolution of 1680, and Diego de Vargas Zapatas, Lujan Ponce de Leon, Spanish Governor and reconqueror of New Mexico, who died in 1704.