Photograph of a corner view of Hanna's Los Angeles College, formerly the First Methodist Episcopalian Church building (and Emanuel Presbyterian Church; later Abbotsford Inn), Eighth Street and Hope Street, Los Angeles, ca.1890. The 3-story wooden building has square towers on or near the three visible corners. The central one is topped with a tall pyramidal roof. The others are topped with octagonal cone-shaped roofs. A two-tiered narrow fire-escape is attached to the building along the rows of windows on the right side. A simple low rail fence surrounds the building. A few adjacent buildings are visible. The city of Los Angeles is visible in background.; "D.W. Hanna, a Michigan pedagogue who had come to Los Angeles in 1884, to open Ellis College on Fort Street (later renamed Broadway) near Temple Street -- burned in 1888 -- established on September 2nd , 1885, the Los Angeles College, a boarding school for girls, in a couple of buildings at the corner of Fifth and Olive Streets. In 1887 Hanna, having formed a stock company, erected a new school structure at the southwest corner of Eighth and Hope Streets, where eighteen teachers soon instructed some two hundred and fifty students. But the institution failed, and the building ... was finally bought by Abbot Kinney and named the Abbotsford Inn." -- Harris Newmark. Sixty Years in Southern California, p.566.; "Rev. Dr. W.J. Chichester on Sunday delivered his farewell address at the First Presbyterian church. He briefly alluded to his three years of labor in the church and announced that next Sunday he would open the new church, which has been organized under him under the name of Emanuel Presbyterian Church, in Professor Hanna's college, at the corner of Eighth and Hope Streets." -- newspaper clipping, Express, 18 Oct. 1888.