Photograph of an exterior view of the Exchange Hotel (later the La Fonda Hotel), San Francisco Street, Santa Fe, New Mexico, ca.1895-1905. It is the oldest hotel in the west, and was the hotel at the end of the Santa Fe Trail. Overhead wires for power or communications can be seen attached to the adobe hotel. A covered portal supported by square posts is visible on the left. A workman stands on a ladder at left under the porch roof near a sign reading "Lemp, St. Louis". A dog lies on the ground at the foot of the ladder. The area in the foreground is composed of dirt. Other legible signs include: ..."Star tobbacco", "Exchange Hotel", "Coca-Cola [...] fountain".