Photograph of an aerial view of the Gladding, McBean & Co. pottery (the former Tropico Pottery Works) in Los Angeles, California, 1924. Buildings jut up against one another at the works: first, there is a long, one-story building backed by what appears to be a warehouse, and a manufacturing building. Several other long, low, flat-roofed buildings are also seen. Towards the back of the site smokestacks reach above the buildings, at least twice their height, expelling nothing. Cylindrical domes a quarter of the average building on the lot's size are laced in between them. A lawn with winding and circular tracks is visible behind this, along with a clump of trees. A water tower stands in the extreme foreground.; "The former Tropico Pottery was located in the city of Los Angeles (the dividing line between Glendale and Los Angeles was the SP railroad tracks). GMcB had two plants in Los Angeles. When GMcB acquired the Tropico Pottery in 1923, the company referred to the former Tropico Pottery plant as the Glendale plant so as not to confuse the plant with their already existing LA plant. GMcB never had a plant in the city of Glendale. Unfortunately by calling the plant the Glendale plant, this only confused the actual location of the plant" -- James Elliot-Bishop, author of "Franciscan, Catalina and Other Gladding, McBean Wares 1875-1942".