Photograph of a view of the lake at Westlake Park (later MacArthur Park), ca.1915. Two palm trees flank the stairs that lead down to the lake. Benches line the walkways that circle the lake's boundaries. Trees and bushes cover the areas around the lake. Houses and buildings are visible in the distance.; "When Wilshire bought the property in 1895 for $52,000, Westlake Park had been a city dump. In 1887 private funds enabled the land to be converted into a park (and renamed for World War II General Douglas MacArthur Jr. in 1942). Gaylord Wilshire told the city that in order for him to permit a street to bisect the property, the boulevard must be 120 feet wide and must bear his name. His street ran between Westlake Park and Lafayette Park." -- unknown author.