Photograph of a view of front facade of the Immaculate Heart College, a Catholic girls school on Franklin Avenue at the head of Western Avenue, 1905. The three-story mission-style building features multicurved parapets, arched windows, several arcades, and dormer windows. About a dozen young trees are planted in the well-maintained yard. The dirt road in the foreground is lined with streetcar rails.; "Immaculate Heart High School was founded in 1906 by the Sisters of the Immaculate Heart of Mary, a Catholic religious order of women who trace their origin to Olot, Spain, where they were founded by Father Masmitja de Puig in 1848. The sisters opened Cathedral School in Los Angeles in 1886. This became the first parochial school in the city. The sisters later purchased a fifteen-acre plot of land for $10,000 in the Hollywood Hills at Western and Franklin Avenues where they built a convent and a high school with boarding facilities. Transportation for students in the early 1900s consisted of wagons on dirt roads. During this time Western Avenue changed from a rutted wagon road to a major artery, Los Feliz from a cow path to a boulevard, and the surrounding olive and orange groves yielded first to California bungalows, then to apartment structures and business and industrial complexes. The school was originally called Immaculate Heart College, even though it began as a high school. The College portion opened in the following decade." -- unknown author.