Photograph of a view of the outer perimeters (or the large courtyard?) of Mission San Juan Capistrano as seen from the arcade ("view from the northeast"), Orange County, ca.1885. Fallen bricks from the dilapidated arcade cover the ground (foreground). Grass and sprouts of wild grass (or weeds?) cover the ground. A tree stands at the center of the open space. Ruins of a wall are visible in the background. "Father Junipero Serra founded Mission San Juan Capistrano in 1776, which is known as the Jewel of the Missions. It is renowned for its beautiful courtyard gardens and legendary 'Return of the Swallows' on March 19 of each year." -- unknown author.