Photograph of a drawing of Mission Santa Barbara by Henry Chapman Ford, ca.1883. The Mission, situated near the base of a mountain range, is about three-stories tall. It features two Moorish-style towers flanking the façade. A long arcade extends to the left.; "Santa Barbara Mission was founded December 4, 1786. Portions of five units of its extensive water works, built by Indian labor, are preserved in this park, a filter house, Spanish gristmill, sections of aqueducts, and two reservoirs. The larger reservoir, built in 1806, is used today as part of the city water system. Ruins of the pottery kiln and tanning vats are here, also. The fountain and lavadero are nearby in front of the Old Mission. A dam, built in 1807, is located in the Santa Barbara Botanic Garden, one and one-half miles up Mission Canyon." -- The California State Historic Landmark Plaque #309.