Photograph of a view of the quadrangle of Mission San Luis Rey de Francia as seen from the arcade, Orange County, ca.1900. Fallen bricks from the dilapidated arcade cover the ground (foreground). Grass and sprouts of wild grass (or weed?) cover the ground. A tree, California's first pepper tree planted in 1830(?), stands at the center quadrangle. Ruins of a wall are visible in the background.; "Mission San Luis Rey de Francia is the 18th in a chain of 21 California Missions established by the Spanish Franciscans. Named after Saint Louis IX, King of France, the Mission was founded on June 13, 1798 by Father Fermin Francisco de Lasuen in a fertile valley midway between Missions San Diego de Alcala and San Juan Capistrano. Father Antonio Peyri was assigned the task of administrator and served San Luis Rey for 34 years. Father Peyri supervised the construction of the Mission from the very beginning. Along with his fellow Franciscans, he taught the Native Americans about new methods of agriculture and crafts and introduced them to Christianity." -- unknown author.