Photograph of buildings and the courtyard of the Southern Branch of the University of California, Los Angeles, after 1914. The campus is very clean, the lawn is well groomed, and the buildings look well maintained. The architecture is similar to Spanish style where the use of spanish-tiles, arcades, and arch-shaped windows and doorways are evident. The courtyard consists of paved sidewalks forming circular and straight paths. A handful of students can be seen conversing around the center of the campus where most of the paths converge. Several other students can be seen scattered throughout the campus.; "In 1880, with a population of 11,000, Los Angeles was a gaslit pueblo trying to convince the state to establish in Southern California a second State Normal School like the one already existing in San Jose, some 300 miles to the north. In March of the following year, the State Assembly approved the establishment of such a school. A group of enthusiastic citizens, over 200 of whom contributed between $2 and $500, purchased a site less than a mile from the business section. Soon the towering Victorian form of the school rose from an orange grove that, today, is the site of the Central Los Angeles Public Library. On August 29, 1882, the Los Angeles Branch of the State Normal School welcomed its first students. By 1914 the little pueblo of Los Angeles had grown to a city of 350,000 and the school, whose enrollment far exceeded its capacity, moved to new quarters -- a Hollywood ranch off a dirt road which would later become Vermont Avenue. With a view toward expansion, Director Ernest Carroll Moore proposed in 1917 that the school become the first branch of the Berkeley-based University of California. Two years later on May 23, 1919, California Governor William D. Stephens signed the legislation that created the "Southern Branch" of the University of California -- no longer merely a teacher's college but an institution that offered two years of instruction in Letters and Science. Third- and fourth-year courses were soon added, the first class of 300 students was graduated in 1925, and by 1927 the Southern Branch had earned its new name: University of California at Los Angeles (the "at" became a comma in 1958). As the student population of the University continued to increase, the need for a new site became obvious and the search was soon under way for a permanent home for UCLA." -- unknown author.; Originally, the image was captioned as "General view of State Normal School, Los Angeles, [s.d.]".