Photograph of a panoramic view of the Los Angeles Plaza from Fort Hill, ca.1880. The Pico House, Plaza Catholic Church, Plaza (gazebo in center, surrounded by circle of trees) and Lugo House can be seen. The Plaza House Hotel can also be seen in the forground. At the time it was built the Plaza House was also called the Garnier Block, having been built by Phillipe Garnier. It was later just called the Plaza House, after Phillipe Garnier built another building on Los Angeles Street that came to be known as the Garnier building. Trees and other plants dominate the foreground. The roofs of most of the buildings are fully visible. Legible signs include: "Pico House".