Photograph of an exterior view of the first building erected on the corner of Fifth Street and Hill Street in Los Angeles, ca.1890. The small, two-story clapboard house is at center. It has a small balcony with an open doorway at center, as well as a covered porch on the first floor. Large vines have grown up the side of the porch, hiding much of the front of the house from view. Four people are on the sidewalk in the foreground, including two young children at left and a girl and a woman walking at center. The building, the home of Mary E. Taft, was moved to face Fifth Street, as shown in CHS-14125. Later this block would become part of the center of Los Angeles' financial district.