Photograph of an exterior view of the Los Angeles County Court House and Hall of Records, ca.1917. The court house was built in 1888, demolished in 1933 after an earthquake damaged it, and was located on the south side of Temple Street between Broadway and Spring Street, on Poundcake Hill. Los Angeles Hall of Records is adjacent. Broad cement steps lead up to the four-story Victorian stone building with many gables. The square clock tower (time 10:12 a.m.) rises above the rest of the building. Two large palm trees dominate the lawn in front. A stone wall surrounds the grounds. Several automobiles and a horse-drawn wagon are on the street. Streetcar rails are visible in the street as are electric cables running overhead. American flags fly from the roof of this building as well as the adjacent blocky seven-story Hall of Records at left. Legible signs read "Entrance to elevators", automobile license "37884", "Temple St., New High St."; "Early photo shows the old, red-sandstone Courthouse looking at the new Hight Street (now Spring Street) and Temple Street corner of the building. It was razed after the 1933 earthquake. The 'Old Hall of Records' is seen in the background. The new Los Angeles County Hall of Records, third 'home' for the County Recorder during this century will be dedicated May 18."