Photograph of a panoramic view of the Barlow Sanatorium in its early days, Elysian Park, 1915. The sanatorium is comprised of a dozen cottages at right. At center, several small single-story buildings are visible. To the far left, what appears to be the administrative building can be seen. Roads circle around the compound and allow access to the main road. Surrounding grasslands, lawns, and courtyards are well maintained. Utility poles line the main road. Thick forests of trees are visible in the hilly background.; "The Barlow Sanatorium was founded in 1902 for the treatment of tuberculosis patients. The Administration building, donated by Mrs. W. Jarvis Barlow, was one of the first four structures that constituted the newly opened Barlow Sanatorium. Mr. and Mrs. Alfred Solano contributed a 13-room permanent cottage; designed to become Barlow's future infirmary for the more advanced cases. Later, a 60-foot passageway would connect it with the Administration Building." -- unknown author.; "In 1902 Dr. Barlow founded The Barlow Sanatorium to care for the indigent tuberculosis of Los Angeles county; those who have been residents of the county for one year and who are in no condition for active work. He and his wife had spent many days driving around the Los Angeles area in their horse-drawn carriage until they discovered what looked like the ideal location. It was 25 acres of untouched meadowland set among the rolling hills next to the city-owned Elysian Park on Chavez Ravine Road. The site turned out to be more ideal for the purpose than was initially apparent. The configuration of the hills in the area is such that clean air always sweeps across Barlow's land, even when Los Angeles itself is plagued with smog - a fortunate climatic quirk that met the fresh air needs of the patients. Dr. Barlow purchased the 25 acres from J.B. Lankershim for $7,300. He convinced Lankershim to donate back $1,000 of the purchase price, received $1,300 from Alfred Solano, who with his wife (Marion Barlow's remarried mother) would become legendary supporters of the institution, and chipped in the balance of $5,000 himself. A Board of Directors was established, consisting of J.F. Francis as president, Mrs. John D. Hooker as vice-president, and Norman Bridge, M.D. and R.W. Poindexter as members. Dr. Barlow, who was never to permit himself to be elected president, chose instead to be secretary- treasurer, a post he held for the rest of his life." -- John F. Barlow.