Photograph of a school in Artesia, showing a group of students in front, ca.1898. The small one-story Victorian wooden building has an octagon-shaped turret attached at the main entry with a round dome on top. A band of floral print wraps around the walls at the level where many windows stand in the lightly-colored walls. What appears to be sand fills the immediate area of the school, but the children pose in the blotchy grass in the foreground. Tall, bare trees stand in a row across the background with an open field behind them.; "This school was not in Artesia, but on the Bixby Ranch. It was known as the Llewelen School and was on the south side of Carson near Lakewood Boulevard near the boundary of Montana Land Company." -- Evelyn Abbie (2 April 1975), Artesia Chamber of Commerce. "According to School did not exist on the Bixby Ranch". -- JPC (J. Paul Christopher?) (29 July 1982).