Photograph of the exterior view of the E.L. Doheny mansion from across the street, on Chester Place, Los Angeles, 1910. A driveway leads to the 2-story-plus dwelling. It features tile roof, a tower with a hexagonally shaped roof on the front of the house, a walkway that circumnavigates the tower, awnings on several windows, and an immaculate front yard. Ornamental traceries outline the roofs. Palm tree and a variety of other trees line the sidewalks.; "The Doheny Mansion is the best preserved and most impressive of the late Victorian residences remaining in the West Adams district of Los Angeles. It was originally constructed in 1899-1900 for Oliver Posey, and sold to Edward L. Doheny in 1901. It is the major building (Number 8) in the exclusive residential park known as Chester Place, which was developed by Doheny. Many changes were made over the years during the occupancy of the Dohenys. The 1933 earthquake precipated many changes, including the addition of steel beams and columns to replace the original timber construction. The exterior now resemebles a French Gothic chateau. Following Mrs. Doheny's death in 1958 the residence passed to the Catholic Church, and became part of the Doheny campus of Mount St. Mary's College." -- unknown author.; "Built as one of a number of mansions in Chester Place, the Doheny Mansion was purchased by Edward L. Doheny in 1901 for $120,000 in gold coin. The Gothic Renaissance home, designed by Theodore A. Eisen and Sumner P. Hunt in 1898, includes 22 rooms and the city's first privately owned elevator. In 1906 the Doheny family received permission from the Italian government to copy a room from the Roma Museum for the mansion's ballroom. The Pompeian Room, inspired by discoveries made at Pompeii, is decorated with imported marble and a Tiffany glass domed ceiling. Many of the trees on the grounds were brought back by the Dohenys from their travels around the world." -- unknown author.