Photograph (streetscape, horizontal photography) of the exterior front view of the Doheny mansion, "formerly owned by Oliver Posey", West Adams district, Los Angeles, ca.1912-1921. A paved walkway cuts through the beautiful courtyard. Trees and flowers of different and exotic types adorn the courtyard. The mansion, in the background, is almost hidden by foliage.; "The Doheny Mansion is the best preserved and most impressive of the late Victorian residences remaining in the West Adams district of Los Angeles. It was originally constructed in 1899-1900 for Oliver Posey, and sold to Edward L. Doheny in 1901. It is the major building (Number 8) in the exclusive residential park known as Chester Place, which was developed by Doheny. Many changes were made over the years during the occupancy of the Dohenys. The 1933 earthquake precipitated many changes, including the addition of steel beams and columns to replace the original timber construction. The exterior now resembles a French Gothic chateau. Following Mrs. Doheny's death in 1958 the residence passed to the Catholic Church, and became part of the Doheny campus of Mount St. Mary's College." -- University of Southern California historical archives.