Photograph of Avila or Abile adobe house, north Los Angeles Street and Alameda Street near the Plaza, 1896. At center, two boys sit on the covered veranda running the length of the house. Two steps are cut into the short dirt embankment leading up to one of the doors of the structure. Three doors and three rectangular windows with shutters can be seen along the front of the structure. Several cracks and deformities can be seen along the wall as well. Behind the house at right, a large tree is visible.; "This house was once Commodore Stockton's Headquarters. It was built of adobe in 1821 on Olivera Street a few doors north of the Plaza. Before being taken over by the American sit was the residence of Señora Encarnacion Sepulveda de Avila and was one of the most pretentious and finely furnished in the pueblo." -- Charles J. Prudhomme.; "One of the oldest landmarks in the city, commonly referred to by pioneers as the 'first state capitol building in California,' may soon be demolished for sanitary reasons by order of the city housing commission. The building in question is an old adobe structure located at 16 Oliveras Street, just north of the Plaza. It is now used as a rooming-house and was an old home in 1847 when it was occupied by Commodore Stockton, who made it his headquarters while here. It was also occupied by General Fremont, the pathfinder, and it was here that the first American flag was raised in Los Angeles. The property is owned by the heirs to the Rimpau estate. Frank D. Rimpau, one of the owners has stated that at the time the house was occupied by Commodore Stockton it was owned by his grandmother, who married Francisco Avila, one of the early Spanish residents of Southern California." -- from "25 Years Ago Today". [unidentified newspaper] (11 April 1911).