Photograph of an exterior view of Scotty's Castle in Grapevine Canyon, Death Valley, ca.1900-1950. An expansive two-story building with multiple towers and two visible balconies can be seen at center. Archways can be seen at right and left, while a flag flies from the shingled roof. What appears to be a mote runs in front of the building, while a wooden fence can be seen behind a dirt road in the foreground. Desert mountains can be seen in the background. Photoprint reads: "Financed by Alfred Johnson. Started in 1926 and took 7 years".; "One of the most popular attractions in Death Valley National Park is Scotty's Castle, a two-story Spanish Villa in Grapevine Canyon that is neither a 'Castle' nor, 'Scotty's.' In fact, the popular 32,000-square-foot compound was built in 1927 by Albert Johnson, a wealthy Chicago insurance executive, who constructed Death Valley Ranch for his health. How Johnson's ranch came to be called Scotty's Castle, is a tribute to Walter E. Scott, who during a lifetime of shameless self-promotion, hustling and swindling, came to be known as Death Valley Scotty." -- Bob Katz.