Photograph of the statue of John William MacKay at the University of Nevada in Reno, Nevada, ca.1930. The statue depicting John William MacKay stands center on what appears to be a stone pedestal displaying a plaque. The figure stands with a mining tool in his left hand and another object in his right hand. The figure can be seen between two of the four columns that guard the large entrance directly behind them. The columns support the roof of the entrance that reeds "The MacKay School of Mines" while trees shade the walls of brick to either side.; Picture file card reads "Reno, Nevada. At the university of Nevada in front of the mining building stands the statue of John William MacKay, 1831-1902. MacKay was one of the prominent mine owners of the Comstock Lode at Virginia City. A good deal of his wealth went into building the Postal Telegraph Company. The statue was erected in 1908".