Photograph of an exterior view of El Carmelo Mission (1770) at Carmel-by-the-Sea showing the wooden gate in the foreground, June, 1926. A wooden fence stands across the foreground with a wooden gate entrance at right. A bell hangs over the entrance from an overhanging log. Behind the fence a variety of trees and flowers decorate either side of the trail that leads to the church's entrance at left center. Two statues stand on either side of the arched door of the church. The exterior walls are in disrepair but two crosses still stand on the church's roof. A smaller building stands at right with a brick chimney on its roof.