Photograph of the exterior of the Los Angeles and Independence Railroad Depot, San Pedro Street and Fourth Street, south of Fifth Street, before 1888. The wood Victorian building has two three-story square towers with wrought iron work at their apexes, with dormer windows in the roofs of the towers and small decorative balconies on the Second-story windows. A statue of a sphinx stands guard at the right of several doors at the head of a wide set of stairs on the left side of the building. A group of about six people are gathered on the platform near the end of a rail car (one is on the car) on the right side of the building. The railroad line, which extended to Santa Monica, was taken over by Southern Pacific, and the station was destroyed by fire in November, 1888.; Streetscape. Horizontal photography.