Photograph of Navy training ship U.S.S. Ranger in San Diego harbor, ca.1884-1885. The ship has three main masts. Her starboard bow is pointed to the right. A pilot[?] boat is anchored alongside. Docks along the coast are visible in the background including two other large sailing vessels. A small rowboat manned by two men is visible in the left foreground. Some legible signs on shore include: "W.W. Stewart & Co., Storage and commission merchants, importers of Portland cement, plaster and uwe"[?], "Gray & Co., furniture and carpets", "Grand Pacific". The Ranger was in service until about 1910. Photoprint reads: "steam and sail".