Photograph of the exterior of The Broadway Department Store established by Arthur Letts on Feb. 27th, 1896 on the corner of Broadway and Fourth Street (streetscape) ca.1899. The store's entrance is shaded by a striped canopy under which is a sign that reads "Will be placed on sale M[ond]ay banna[na] [...]ces." To the extreme left on the sidewalk in front of the store are two rocking horses and some kind of object which reads "15" The two leftmost windows above the store both read "Geo. J. Birkel / pianos." followed to the right by two that read "Doctor[...]" On the street, a horse-drawn carriage can be seen moving past the telephone pole between it and the store. In front of the carriage, in the extreme foreground, a harnessed ox is pictured partially.