Photograph of an exterior view of the new Ralphs supermarket on the corner of Crenshaw Boulevard and Rodeo Drive in Los Angeles, April 25, 1942. The market is at right and is a single-story, light-colored building with glass windows and doors around its perimeter. A large sign bears the name of the market at right. In the foreground, a large parking lot is full of large automobiles. Several pedestrians can be seen making their way from the cars to the market. This marked the start of new architectural styles for supermarkets in Los Angeles. Notice streamline motif, glass crick, closed windows. Prior to this, most L.A. markets were open front units.