Photograph of a view of Redondo Beach from its first pier, showing the A.R. Shaefers Casino, ca.1890. The ocean surf fills much of the foreground, the shore pictured in the distance. The casino stands at center, apparently an open-air pavilion, with its title blazoned on its roof. A second, smaller beach pavilion which appears to be a train depot and a tent are visible to its left. Train cars can be seen behind it to its right. More shop fronts can be seen along Pacific Avenue in the background, bearing signs, while the predominantly two-story Victorian houses of the town are visible on the hill behind them. Small canoes are laid out on the sand in front of the casino. Legible signs include: "Santa Fe Route", "Restaurant", and "Groceries".