Photograph of the Saint James Episcopal Church in Sonora, 1936. The three arched windows and steeply-slanted roof of the old church can be seen at center through the oaks on either side and the cypress trees that guard the entrance. To the left the steeple displaying a cross on top extends higher than the trees and nearby electrical poles. The church is separated from the streets on either side by a metal gate. Down the street to the left of the church an automobile is parked in the shade of an oak just outside.