Photograph of an exterior view of the Assay Office at Commercial Street in Nevada City, ca.1900. The short, darkly-colored Assay Office stands at center on the corner of the intersecting streets. The porch just in front of the office appears to have a white frame with the sign hanging from the top. Tall, lightly colored buildings line the street to the left with Carnes Signs standing just across the street. A man stands on the sidewalk next to another man who sits on a parked automobile on the left. A second automobile is parked at the end of the porch of a tall, lightly-colored building on the far right.; Picture file card reads "The old Assay Office at the end of Commercial Street started in 1853, is still doing business. In the early days of the gold rush the Assay Office was the most important place in town".