Photograph of the Crescenta Block on Downey Avenue (later North Broadway) at Truman Street (later Avenue 23), Los Angeles, ca.1885-1886. The two-story wooden building with a sign reading "Crescenta Block, 1885" was owned by G.F. Lemberger, later became a Federal branch of the California Bank. A horse-drawn wagon sits in front of the building. Across the street, at left center, the two-story brick building was owned by James Hanley and occupied by Dr. Allan Schless as a drug store. At extreme left is the one-story Stockwell Brothers Grocery store. A line of trees grows at right beside the Crescenta Block and across the street between the grocery store and drug store. Perspective is from under the spreading branches of a large tree on the near side of the street. Legible signs include ..."Groceries", "Fish and poultry".