Photograph of a view of the Mission San Diego Alcala, shown from the rear quadrangle, ca.1898. The crumbling remains of what appeared to be the two-story adobe building of a chapel are seen at center, a large portion of the building still viable, but with a free-standing wall eroding to the left. To the right of these, a small rancher-style one-story adobe stands, its bricks painted a light color. Its roof is shingled, and two doors can be seen in its front, each flanked by a barred window. Still farther right, an even shorter adobe edifice is visible, with only one door, an adobe roof, and no windows. A mound of dirt is visible to the far left. Mountains can be seen in the background.