Photograph of a view of the Mission San Diego Alcala, seen from the rear of the bell tower, 1898. A small picket fence is visible cutting into the image from the left, attaching itself to the bottom of the adobe bell tower which is visible to the right. At center, the chapel of the mission is open, its walls having crumbled, leaving on the the facade and a single load-bearing wall. The bell tower is shorter than this two-story structure, little more than a brick pedestal for the single bell which appears unscathed. The silhouettes of small plants can be seen growing against the fence. A large sand drift rises up from the left of center to swallow some of the debris surrounding the bell tower.