Photograph of an exterior view of the façade of Mission San Luis Rey, ca.1885. The main façade of the mission is at center and consists of a tall wall with a single arched doorway in the middle. Above the doorway is a large circular window, and there is a tall bell tower at right. Behind the façade at right is a terracotta roofed building. A low adobe wall extends at right, and at left is a line of open adobe archways. The entire exterior is covered in white spackle that has worn away in some places. There is low grass in front of the mission.