Photograph of Beale's Cut in Newhall, ca.1880. The narrow pass is cut into a mountain at center. There is a steep dirt road leading up towards the gap, and a horse-drawn carriage at the base of it. The hills on both sides of the pass are covered in low bushes and shrubs. Beale's Cut was also known as Fremont's Pass or Newhall Pass and at one time was the main route between Los Angeles and Newhall. It was originally crossed by General Phineas Banning and later deepened by General Edward F. Beale. It was replaced by the Newhall Tunnel in 1910.