Photograph of the interior of the Northrop Corporation's Plant, showing a 54-ton machine, part of the "U.S. Air Force's long range plans to obtain advanced weapons systems economically", ca.1950. A man in a lab coat stands with his back turned atop a metal platform, with his left hand busy with what appears to be the control box of a large piece of machinery. The machine appears at right, and bears the words "Kearney & Trecker Milwaukee".; Photoprint reads: "The Machine ... This 54-ton giant, massive in appearance and construction, is controlled by a thin, one-inch wide tape as it performs intricate and close tolerance cuts on complex production parts. The new tool system is parat of the U.S. Air Force's long rance plans to obtainadvanced weapons systems economically. It manufacutres high precision parts in the one continuous operation which formerly require many set-ups and costly templates. Several mechanical innovations are incorporated in the new machine, manufactured by the Kearney and Trecker Corporation, Milwaukee, Wisconsin. From: Public Relations. Northrop Aircraft, Inc. Hawthorne, California".